In the ever-evolving scene of SharePoint and Microsoft 365, the past month has brought forth a slew of exciting updates and features. This article aims to highlight some of the key advancements, from the introduction of SharePoint eSignature to the retirement announcement of Delve Web.
SharePoint eSignature: Putting Pen to Paper Digitally
A standout addition is the SharePoint eSignature service, Microsoft’s native electronic signature solution. This feature enables users to seamlessly request electronic signatures for PDF documents directly within SharePoint. The process is intuitive: open the document in the viewer, select ‘Get Signatures,’ and recipients can sign without the document leaving the secure Microsoft environment.
- Support for up to 10 internal or external recipients.
- Integration with Microsoft 365 admin center.
- Simple electronic signatures with pay-as-you-go pricing.
Stream Enhancements: Making Videos Interactive
Microsoft continues to enhance the interactive capabilities of Stream. Users can now embed surveys, quizzes, polls, hyperlinks, and text callouts at specific times in videos, fostering engagement and information gathering. This is especially valuable for training scenarios and content enrichment.
- Overlay surveys, quizzes, and polls during video playback.
- Add hyperlinks and text callouts for interactive content.
- Easy editing and previewing in Stream Web App.
Viva Engage: Community Creation API
For those leveraging Viva Engage, the newly introduced Community Creation API in Microsoft Graph Beta offers a programmatic way to create communities. This feature supports app-delegated and app-only access, providing flexibility and customization for community creation.
- Supports Microsoft 365 Groups unified.
- App-delegated and app-only access.
- Limited to networks in Native mode.
OneDrive App for Microsoft Teams: Seamless Integration
The new OneDrive app for Teams aims to streamline file management by bringing the enhanced OneDrive experience directly into Microsoft Teams. This cohesive integration ensures a consistent file management experience across both platforms.
- Replaces the generic Files app in Teams.
- Consistent file management in Teams and OneDrive.
- Easy access to a familiar file organization structure.
Microsoft 365 Backup (Public Preview): Safeguarding Your Data
Introducing the Microsoft 365 Backup Service, now in public preview, providing a comprehensive solution for data recovery across OneDrive, SharePoint, and Exchange Online. This service ensures protection against ransomware attacks and accidental data loss.
- Cross-product solution for data recovery.
- Immutable backups within Microsoft 365 data trust boundary.
- Pay-as-you-go basis with flexible admin control.
SharePoint Embedded: Transformative Content Apps
SharePoint Embedded, now in public preview, offers a revolutionary way to build custom content apps for enterprises and ISVs. With a headless, API-only pattern, developers can integrate robust content management capabilities into apps, ensuring collaboration, security, and compliance.
- Headless, API-only pattern for content apps.
- Seamless integration with Microsoft 365 Admin Center and Microsoft Purview.
- Pay-as-you-go consumption terms for scalability.
Microsoft Loop: Transitioning to loop.cloud.microsoft
A subtle but impactful change is the transition of the Microsoft Loop app to the *.cloud.microsoft domain. This shift, effective immediately, ensures a unified and trusted DNS domain space for Microsoft’s SaaS products.
- Loop app accessible at https://loop.cloud.microsoft.
- Part of Microsoft’s standardized network guidance.
- Automatic redirection from loop.microsoft.com.
Delve Web Retirement: Embracing Change
In a significant move, Microsoft has announced the retirement of Delve Web on December 16, 2024. Most features and value offered by Delve are now available and improved in other Microsoft 365 experiences, with Profile Cards taking center stage.
- Delve Home and Profile features redirected to improved experiences.
- Edit profile experience enhancements in the pipeline.
- Delve Web retirement aligned with evolving Microsoft 365 capabilities.
January 2024 Teasers: What’s on the Horizon
Looking ahead, Microsoft teases five intriguing features projected for CY24-Q1, including collaborative SharePoint pages, Viva Amplify, Teams meeting participant display name editing, SharePoint Pages API, and Viva Goals in People Profile Cards. These innovations promise to further enrich the collaborative and productivity capabilities of Microsoft 365.
- Co-authoring on SharePoint pages and news.
- Viva Amplify for enhanced publishing in Viva Engage.
- Teams meeting participant display name editing.
- SharePoint Pages API for expanded functionality.
- Viva Goals integrated into People Profile Cards.
As we wrap up 2023, these advancements underscore Microsoft’s commitment to delivering innovative solutions that empower organizations to thrive in the digital era. From eSignatures to collaborative content apps, the future promises even more exciting features to enhance the Microsoft 365 experience. Stay tuned for continued updates and the latest in SharePoint and Microsoft 365!